A Travellerspoint blog

Wow. Just Wow.

Evans - I don't even know where to begin. I guess I'll start with Japan Airlines. Which was frickin' amazing. The food was incredible: Rice with terriyaki chicken, or some other sauce, tofu, vegetables, and potato salad. And that was just the first meal. I had a chicken salada sandwich later on in the flight. The people are just so much friendlier than what I'm used to back home. It was almost overwhelming. I met a few fellow Canadians during my layover in Tokyo, which was 4 hours. It went by pretty quickly though. We all got together and talked for basically the whole time. We even started buying rounds of beer for each other. It was only $4 at the most per beer. There was even Sake. Fortunately we only split one of those between the four of us. Needless to say, I wasn't feeling to well during my second flight, as alcohol tends to hit you harder when you're flying. I didn't get sick or anything, which was good, but I sure did feel like it. So, after a long day that seemed as if it would never end, I finally arrived in Bangkok. I was expecting to be in hell when I stepped out onto the streets. And while the taxi was going 140km down the road, and there were no seatbelts in the back seats. I was surprisingly not as bad as I thought it would be. I managed to get an acceptable price from him, so I was pleased with the outcome. I had taken off on my first flight at 11:30am Sunday, and arrived Monday at midnight at the hostel because of the time difference. Boy was I wanting to get my ass to bed. Jet lag would be the understatement of the year for me! I'd have to agree with previous post: countless aromas of food hang throughout the air, followed by the unaccustomed smell of methane. And people never stop for you if you're crossing the road. Sure, they slow down, but I have yet to see a single car stop. But nevertheless, the people are just as friendly here as they were in Japan. Even if the majority of them are doing it just to get your money. So, day one was pretty good for me. Right off the bat, never have I done so much walking in one period of time than now. And yes, I'm paying for it now, I'm sore as hell, but I'm sure I'll get used to it in a few days.
We're now in Cambodia. Needless to say, I've done way too much moving around in two or three days than I would liked to have done. And once again, they tried to scam us. Something to do with the currency exchange rate. I'll just say we now know to keep American money instead of changing it to Cambodian. It rained today as well, which was nice for me, helped with the heat as I'm not used to it yet. That was until it started to poor like no tomorrow. But it's still hot out at the same time, so it's alright. Nothing I'm not already used to from back home. And depending on the weather, we should be heading to Ankor Wat. That's probably going to be my favourite part of Cambodia. I don't see anything else topping that in this country, and I'm completely stoked for it!

Posted by SSH19 07:14

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents


Great to finally hear from you Evans keep up the writing will check in frequently.
A. Pat

by quinninv

Why hello!!!
Glad to see you're alive after giving our family a few heart attacks. :)
Hope you're off to a good start...and I don't know if you trust the hostels yet, but perhaps you need a hot bath with epson salts to sooth your muscles :)

by Raelenel

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint